Cons: This phone looks like the i680 and very likely suffers the same hinge design flaw.
Summary: Get a warranty rider in writing for the hinge.
If you want a look into your future, read up on the hinge problems of the i680. Run a google search on "i680 hinge bulletin" and read the motorola service links. If you still want to buy this phone, get a guarantee in writing that this phone has a new design hinge that will not fail for the duration of your contract on pain of free replacement each time it happens. I bet they'll find you a different model by the second phone.
The armor is made of weak material that makes it look like the phone is abused more than it is. You can rub across a sharp table corner in an industrial environment and take a chunk out of it. That will probably be used to "prove abuse" and deny warranty.
Have 8 in our "fleet", the 4 most used phones all have the RH hinge broken by the first anniversary. Local Nextel store claimed it was abuse and not warranty after the first one (at about 6months). Three more have broken in the last two months.
I am about to ship them all off to our national provider for replacement.
Just before or just as the hinge breaks, the hold-open spring fails as well. Have you ever tried to talk on a flip phone while having to brace open the top so it doesn't flop shut and hang up your call?
I am convinced that the other 4 i680's we have will fail eventually if we don't replace them first.
- Manufacturer: Motorola
- Part Number:MOTI686KIT
- Product Type Cellular phone With digital camera / digital player
- Service Provider Sprint Nextel
- Width 2.9 in
- Depth 0.6 in
- Height 3.5 in
- Weight 5.6 oz
- Body Color Graphite
- Technology iDEN
- Band iDEN 800/900 (Dual Band)
- Phone Design Folder type phone
- Vibrating Alert Yes
- Polyphonic Ringer Yes
- Voice Dialing Yes
- Call Timer Yes
- Conference Call Capability Yes
- Caller ID Yes
- Speakerphone Yes
- Wireless Interface Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
- Additional Features E-911 compliant,
- User Memory 180 MB
Messaging & Data Services
- Short Messaging Service (SMS) Yes
- Mobile Email Yes
- Internet Browser Yes
- WAP Protocol Supported WAP 2.0
- Platforms Supported Java
- Messaging / Data Features Text messages,
Multimedia messages (MMS),
- Camera highlights With a resolution of 2 megapixels, this model will give you better pictures than other phones.
- Sensor Resolution 2 megapixels
- Digital Zoom 4
- Camera Light Source Flash
- Video Recorder Resolutions 176 x 144 (QCIF),
352 x 288 (CIF),
128 x 96 (Sub QCIF)
- Features Video recording,
- Alarm Clock Yes
- Type LCD display
- Technology TFT
- Display Resolution 176 x 220 pixels
- Diagonal Size 2.2 in
- Color Support Color
- Color Depth 16-bit (65000 colors)
- Features Wallpaper,
Digital Player (Recorder)
- Supported Digital Audio Standards Real Audio,
- Connector Type 1 x Micro-USB,
1 x Headset jack - Sub-mini-phone 2.5 mm
- Hearing Aid Compatible Yes
- Resistance Splashproof,
- Included Accessories Holster
- Type Power adapter
- Technology - Lithium ion
- Capacity 1750 mAh
- Talk Time Up to 350 min