Indian Government announced a Rs.1,500 ($30) laptop / Tablet PC for students and teachers in colleges and Universities. The device is currently not available for sale in the market as government has decided to launch it for students in later this month. Sakshat is a result of a project undertaken by IISc (the Indian Institute of Science) and 4 IIT’s (Indian Institute of Technology). The objective of the project is to bridge the divide of digital gap amongst the students in India.
Specifications of Sakshat :
- Display: Touch Screen
- Keyboard: Built in
- RAM: 2GB
- Connectivity: Wifi, USB
- Operating System: Android
- Power: 2 watt
- It has single unit system which has a touch screen.
- It has a keyboard which is in-built.
- It is operated by a 2 watt system so that it can even perform in areas where power supply is low.
The tablet features :
- Video web conferencing facility,
- Multimedia content viewer for example capability for pdf, jpeg, zip, etc,
- Computing capabilities such as Open Office, SciLab and
- It is enabled with a touch screen.
- An in-built keyboard is attached with this tablet.
- The tablet can store the data of up to 2 GB memory (RAM).
- Wifi connectivity and USB port are this tablet’s additional features.
- 2 watt system is used up by this tablet so that it can even perform in areas where power supply is low.